– A compound noun is made up of two words joined together.
– The two words joined together take a single meaning.
*3 Forms of Compound Nouns
1. Closed Compound Nouns- the two words are written as one word.
armpit sometimes rainbow
2. Open Compound Nouns- the two words are written separately.
heart attack bus stop comfort room
3. Hyphenated Compound Nouns- words that are written with hyphens between the words.
sister-in-law ex-husband runners-up
Match the sentence with the correct compound noun. Write the correct word on on the blank.
ex-wife comfort room rainbow runners-up bus stop
1. My ________ has died.
2. Teacher, may I go to the _________?
3. Wow! A ________ has formed in the sky.
4. The ________ congratulated the champion in a nice way.
5. My former house maid left for the _________
English For Global Communication 4